Thursday, December 16, 2010

Marin vs the Slav


I want to discuss the Anti-Slav line chosen by Marin in his repertoire books. The position below is the main branching point.

This is after 1.c4 c6 2.Nf3 d5 3.g3 Nf6 4.Bg2 of course there are several other move orders to reach this position. White could start with 1.Nf3 and McShane for instance reached this afte 1.g3!

Black has a choice here:



4...dxc4 5.0-0 is the gambit line which I have yet to discuss
4...Bf5 is the Barcza variation

And here I will discuss 4...Bg4

A funny thing has happened  here. I have played 2 online blitz games in the last 2 days that both went:

5.Ne5 Bf5 6.cxd5 Nxd5??



I obviously just played 7.e4 winning a piece!

The opponent on ICC somehow lasted over 40 moves and he tried to get counterplay with 7...f6 8.Nc4 Nb4 9.exf5 Nd3+ 10.Kf1 Qd4 which is probably the best black can do and hope for a miracle. The other guy, over 2400 on PlayChess went 7...Nb4 8.exf6 f6?? 9.Qh5 and resigned!!



Other than that I am mostly meeting 5...Bh5/Bf5 and only today for the first time I got 5...Be6 played against me.

Play after Bf5/Bh5 is often very similar. We go cxd5 and Nc3 and after e4 we give a check on a4 and it's slightly tricky for black. More games later!

No comments:

Post a Comment